Whitestar
Welcome on Whitestar forums !

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Whitestar
Welcome on Whitestar forums !
Whitestar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Layoffs at En Masse

4 posters

Whitestar :: Games :: Tera :: General

Go down

Layoffs at En Masse Empty Layoffs at En Masse

Post by Chakra Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Sad news from En Masse: Tough day at En Masse

Step up to making Tera F2P? (also considering the recent take-over of Frogster by GameForge, which has a F2P business model)
Chakra
Chakra

Back to top Go down

Layoffs at En Masse Empty Re: Layoffs at En Masse

Post by Elloa Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:10 am

I'm not very worried.
I Think Tera is doing actualy quiet nice in USA. Ther eis new players regularly. A lot of trials end to buy the game. The server where James and I are playing is very populated, active at all time of the night or the day. And players that play it seem to enjoy it, and are not always bashing the Devellopers/ Publishers like it was in Europe.

If the game goes F2P, well, that will be one less subscription for me. When I played on Samael I'd have say : this model would be awfull. But On a PVE server I don't think it would do so much harm. On a PVP server however F2P migth be a hell.
Elloa
Elloa
Admin

https://whitestar.bbactif.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chakra Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:41 pm

I belief B2P / F2P is the future for all online gaming, or even all online services on the Internet. It's a new(ish) business model people have to get used to, but for me it's a good thing rather than bad.

Although Tera isn't my fav game, I really enjoyed playing it and still think it looks gorgeous. When it becomes F2P I will most likely play it now and again, just like SWTOR. Multi-gaming works for me Wink

The final question: when will WoW join the B2P / F2P band wagon affraid
...then again I will play WoW for some time any way after MoP has come out, I'm kinda missing my Priest and Shaman Razz

Chakra
Chakra

Back to top Go down

Post by Elloa Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:10 pm

I don't know....It all depend how the F2P model is made. I agree to have a base game free, and have to pay for some additional content. Like patches for the price of a monthly subscription of course. Some cash shop, not promoted in game, but on forums/website, that sell vanity stuff.
But I hate when the cash shop promotion is invasive, when you have to buy inventory and bank slots, or when it became "pay to win".

I also think that F2P model make players unreliable, and create an unstable community, which can be detrimental for some games (like Tera). But, yeah, the time where players stick to the same game for month is over as it seem, and players are jumping from one game to another anyway, so ...maybe yeah F2P can be something good.

I was very against this model for Tera before, but seeing how the situation had been catastrophic in Europe, I don't think it would harm more the game at its stage.
Elloa
Elloa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chakra Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:47 pm

The next test for how successful a B2P game can be is with the release of GW2. I belief ArenaNet made the right decissions which things to sell in the in-game cash shop, like vanity items (Maman Brigitte cannot do without her top hat Wink ) and extra character slots (I'm so gonna need these).

The B2P model worked quite well for GW1 too and also resulted in a very supportive and loyal community. When I see how the GW2 community is now developing, especially on the RP forums, I think GW2 will have the best community an MMO game can hope for. It's one of the reasons why I'm so excited to play this new epic game.

And if the B2P model should fail for GW2 after all, I'll shave my head and go live in a monastry affraid
...well maybe not Wink
Chakra
Chakra

Back to top Go down

Post by Elloa Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 pm

Chakra wrote:The next test for how successful a B2P game can be is with the release of GW2. I belief ArenaNet made the right decissions which things to sell in the in-game cash shop, like vanity items (Maman Brigitte cannot do without her top hat Wink ) and extra character slots (I'm so gonna need these).

The B2P model worked quite well for GW1 too and also resulted in a very supportive and loyal community. When I see how the GW2 community is now developing, especially on the RP forums, I think GW2 will have the best community an MMO game can hope for. It's one of the reasons why I'm so excited to play this new epic game.

And if the B2P model should fail for GW2 after all, I'll shave my head and go live in a monastry affraid
...well maybe not Wink

I don't really know about the GW2 community. So far I've seen on forums and other games (like in other games trials), they look like fanboys bashing and spitting on everything else that's not GW2, which is also one of the reasons I can't feel the hype at all. Very unpleasant to hear all the time (Not speaking about you obviously ^^) how GW2 is the new Messie of MMO and how everything else will faaaaaiiiiiil so bad.
Elloa
Elloa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chakra Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 pm

GW2 has a huge following, and like with any other game, some of them are morons. Best is to just ignore them.
(although I also belief that fanboys are in the end less destructive to a game than winers and QQers, who can kill a game from the inside. At least fanboys are in some way positive, even if grossly annoying)

If you want to get a taste of how good the community can be, check out the RP forum http://guildwars2roleplayers.com/

It's very supportive and immensely creative. Some RP character descriptions are little jewels. If you are into fantasy lore and fiction, this game and its RP community can get you hooked for a long time.
Chakra
Chakra

Back to top Go down

Post by Elloa Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:13 pm

GW2 has a huge following, and like with any other game, some of them are morons.
(although I also belief that fanboys are in the end less destructive to a game than winers and QQers, who can kill a game from the inside. At least fanboys are in some way positive, even if grossly annoying)

I totaly agree with you, and we can see clearly how it's the case in Tera! The continuisly negativism and frustration of a great part of the community have almost done as much wrong to the game than Frogster mistake himself.

I must say I'm extremy tired of QQer. I'd like players think sometimes that the creative group behind a game are not doing this job only for money, but that they have put lot of their soul into it, lot of hope, dreams and enthousiasm, and that bashing as soon there is a little thing that doesn't fit the "expectation of King Client" must hit them in the hearth.
I often feel very sorry for all those guys that work for our enoyement.
Yes, we pay for it, but that doesn't give us all rights.

Elloa
Elloa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A.O.D Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:14 am

Elloa wrote:
I totaly agree with you, and we can see clearly how it's the case in Tera! The continuisly negativism and frustration of a great part of the community have almost done as much wrong to the game than Frogster mistake himself.

I must say I'm extremy tired of QQer. I'd like players think sometimes that the creative group behind a game are not doing this job only for money, but that they have put lot of their soul into it, lot of hope, dreams and enthousiasm, and that bashing as soon there is a little thing that doesn't fit the "expectation of King Client" must hit them in the hearth.

Well said Elloa!
A.O.D
A.O.D

Back to top Go down

Post by Feline Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Elloa wrote:
GW2 has a huge following, and like with any other game, some of them are morons.

Could not agree more!
Both are at fault, but people these days are too demanding and spoiled.

Feline

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down