Whitestar
Welcome on Whitestar forums !

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Whitestar
Welcome on Whitestar forums !
Whitestar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beta, your thoughs - Spoiler free

+3
SirOwe (Petter)
Cassius
Elloa
7 posters

Go down

Beta, your thoughs - Spoiler free Empty Beta, your thoughs - Spoiler free

Post by Elloa Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:48 am

This is the thread to share your experience and your thought about the game. Please, do not spoil the pleasure of other by sharing story lines or too much details.

I've been playing a Smuggler - Cyborg together with Fredrik. Like usual when I'm playing a new game, I'm extremly stressed at start and feel overhelmed with all new UI, keybind to make, setting to adjust, and gameplay to learn. Once I got over this first stress, I really realy enjoyed the game.

The story is excellent and very immersive. I love the characters you meet, the situations you are involved in, and you do not notice that you are doing <kill X mobs> and <gatherX stuff> kind of quest because the justification are just so great and so well done!
The group dialogue are awesome. It was amazing and very fun. I was winning most of the roll, so my character was speaking a lot. She was super cheezy.

I really like Smuggler too. The cover mechanic is not that hard to get, and it's quite fun. It's also possible to have a very different game style very early in the game, even before you choose your CA.

We played a lot yesterday, it was extremly fun, and I really felt involved in the story. I find the way you go from "group" quest to "your solo quest" very smooth, and not breaking too much the rythm of group questing. It's extremly well made.

I love my companion too! <3 First reward you got for your companion is a set of customisation, and later a set of gear. You have three choices, and its only cosmetic choices. In that way, Fredrik and I were really looking different and our companion were really looking different too.

I'm not 100% satisfied the way my character looks, but that's only my fault. She is not super pretty, but, she really looks like a "doll" that had been heavily damaged. Which was the point of my choice of complexion/pale skin/heavy make up/cyberpart/scar/haircut. Can't wait to show her to you.

We did the first flashpoint and this is really an amazing experience!

Overall, I find the difficulty way too easy. Mobs are dying too fast. You don't have the time to try all your abilities, and when you play with a friend + companions, it's really getting ridiculous.
That's an issue that really need to be solved. It still doesn't take away the fun of the story, but I think Bioware could easily double the life of all mobs, including elites, or even more.

Issue :

Got two issues that I'll report. Black screenshots, and my settings/keybind that are reseted everytime I log off. Which is very irritating considering that I customise kinda heavily my keybinds.
Elloa
Elloa
Admin

https://whitestar.bbactif.com

Back to top Go down

Beta, your thoughs - Spoiler free Empty Re: Beta, your thoughs - Spoiler free

Post by Cassius Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:07 am

Maybe they have set the game easy at this point for the beta, to make us experience the most of the game.

As for me, before the game I would talk about the character creation : a lot of choice for humans (42 haircuts !) but a poor choice of tattoos and piercings for rattatakis or implants for cyborgs. Mirialans are quite fine.
Cassius
Cassius

Back to top Go down

Post by Elloa Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:51 am

Barakha wrote:Maybe they have set the game easy at this point for the beta, to make us experience the most of the game.

As for me, before the game I would talk about the character creation : a lot of choice for humans (42 haircuts !) but a poor choice of tattoos and piercings for rattatakis or implants for cyborgs. Mirialans are quite fine.

I think that Cyborg would have deserved some more fancy hair color aswell. I guess they have kept natural color to keep it Starwarish, and not fall into cyberpunk SF with flashy colors, but Cyborg would really have been nice with some hint of blue, pink, and greenish color.

PS : Do you have a character Ludo, on the server we play on and if yes, what's your name?
Elloa
Elloa
Admin

https://whitestar.bbactif.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassius Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Yes, I created Barakha yesterday and I whispered you. Then I talked with Acharial this morning. I'm currently consular level 6.

I'll try to put screenshots on the forum.
Cassius
Cassius

Back to top Go down

Post by SirOwe (Petter) Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:49 pm

this all sounds very interesting and wonderfull. I am planning on joining you all tonight after 17:00 after i finished my que and Beatrice has went to sleep, so probably around 19ish.
Guess what i am goin to try out???

Trooooooopeeeeer... YES....

This is goin to be awsome...
Catch you on the flipside Smile
SirOwe (Petter)
SirOwe (Petter)

Back to top Go down

Post by A.O.D Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:48 am

After playing on both sides, different races/classes and max lvl 14 and so on, I made a short list of pros and cons(bugs excluded Razz) for some parts of the game.

enjoyable storyline; using cut scenes with voice,choices etc give the player a more "connected" feeling. In mmo's that's kinda new.
companion system; i liked it as long as your companion is "useful" depending on what class you are playing.
quest system; well-made, easy to use and follow.

as for the rest like combat system, tab targeting, motion, moving, interface, "graphics"(not final depending on release) etc was the same old thing in some cases even a bit disappointing.
A.O.D
A.O.D

Back to top Go down

Post by Acharial Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 am

After this beta-weekend I'm totally astonished over what Bioware has accomplished! I'm so excited to say the least. This is exactly what I had exepcted from Bioware and It's not even near as bad as I've read around. The classes are all so funny even though most of them are very similiar to WoW classes. What Bioware did to give them that little extra was to put in some really cool animations that makes you feel kinda "cool". That in itself is very amusing. I also really liked that most classes have some form of melee and ranged. Every archtype (Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter, Sith Warrior and Sith Inqusitor) have all a more melee oriented spec and one more ranged, apart from Sith Warrior wich is only melee. This is quite fun that you are a melee oriented class with some really cool and decent abillties from afar.

Now, I liked how Bioware solved this by only having one unique stat per class. Sith Inquistors use gear with Willpower stat. That stat increases melee abillties, healing and ranged dps. This includes crit, +dmg and so on. This is actually very good! I never liked the idea of having of a ton of stats to make it complicated. This is probably one of the better stat systems. The archtypes brings 4 unique buffs to the groups wich covers pretty much all buffs needed and that's amazing.

The Story Lines I liked the most was Inqusitor and Bounty Hunter along with Smuggler. Both Smuggler and BH are alike in the sense of humor. I only played the prolouges to about level 11 and then PvPed my way up to 15 ish. I didn't want to continue on the main stories too much and PvP is a great way to know how your class works anyway.

I didn't enjoy the republic side abit apart from my Smuggler. I really found it lacking in sense of darkside/lightside choices in comparsion to Empire. On the Empire side you actually felt very important.

The only REAL downside for me was the linear story telling but in all honesty I got over this very fast and enjoyed the game anyway. The community is probably not the best around on the server we were on but it was not so bad either. I can see Swtor community being one of the better out there once the WoW-kids move back to where they come from.

I can say as much that I think this is the next best mmo since SWG wich in my opinion was the best MMO pre NGE. I don't say this becuase I'm one of the biggest Star Wars fanboys around but the game is so awesome due to the deep story and great flashpoints. It's a solid and polished game for everyone to enjoy. I like the casualty of the game and the atmosphere really makes you feel like you are in a Star Wars universe. The Old Republic is probably one of Lucasarts best universes with lore.

The UI need polishing for sure. With a 24' screen the only thing I could see was... UI. I wanted to scale it down quite a bit and move around stuff but that was not possible so I had to endure the entire beta with a chat window up the right corner.

I would strongly recomend this game for anyone. If you want a solid mmo game that pretty much contains everything this is the right game. I doubt we'll see another epic game like this for a long time.
Acharial
Acharial

Back to top Go down

Post by Aliny Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Didn't really have time to play as much as I wanted, tho I wouldn't change the last weekend for playing, I had a very nice weekend. But the little I got to play made me more sure that I will like this game alot. It works fine on my computer and it's tons of fun Smile
Aliny
Aliny

Back to top Go down

Post by SirOwe (Petter) Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Yea, the game is really fun in my idea. Reallt enjoyed the first flashpoint as a republic trooper, tou we had some badluck in our little group that started on 4 and ended up as 2 right before the final boss. But we made once we figured out we could use our companions even in the flashpoint, wihc was awsome. And yes i also wanted to be able to resize and move around bar on my UI, but I had my chatbox i the upper left corner geek
I made several esseys about the UI and the lack of more bars, I want more bars, everything doesnt have to be able to make a keybind, but its nice to be able to put everything i want on my hotbars, like medpacks, stimpacks, crafting skills and so on.
But i am very looking forward to release, its sad tou that I couldnt take any days off around release since we got a really painfull situation at work with people sick, people have been let goed off, and just bad attitude of several the latest times. So i hope it gets better.
But this is gona get awsome i belive, I spoke with another friend of mine yesterday, and made him probalby wanna come join us after chirstmas newyears or soemthying, but not on release.
So.. yea.. this wil do it...
I'm happy, I'm feeling glad, I wil get darkpoints geek
SirOwe (Petter)
SirOwe (Petter)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aliny Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Funny. I could move my chatbox quite easily. Just couldn't find nice spot for it so I left it there.
Aliny
Aliny

Back to top Go down

Post by Acharial Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 pm

Aliny wrote:Funny. I could move my chatbox quite easily. Just couldn't find nice spot for it so I left it there.

That's exactly the problem! You can only move the damn chatbox but there is no room for it apart the middle of the screen! lol
Acharial
Acharial

Back to top Go down

Post by Aliny Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Ah, yeah. That is very true. I ended up moving it back where it was. Well maybe they will give us more ways to change the UI
Aliny
Aliny

Back to top Go down

Post by Athimahri Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:47 pm

Personally I hated the graphics. It was like playing a kids cartoon made out of painted on plastic

Athimahri

Back to top Go down

Post by Acharial Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:19 am

Another awesome experience from the beta are the voice overs! How could I forget them?

Especially the male Bounty Hunter! It's the same voice over as Spike from Cowboy Bebop ^_^

Mako is voiced over by Lucy Chaubert from Mean girls!

And let's not forget Nika Futterman as Kaliyo.

One thing that REALLY makes me sad is that Sith Warrior female is voiced over by Claudia Black. COME ONE! It's one of the best actresses and her voice is so awesome. For those that does not know Claudia Black; she is the actress from Farscape and also has the voice for Morrigan in Dragon Age. I TOTALLY love her voice <3
Acharial
Acharial

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down