Whitestar
Welcome on Whitestar forums !

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Whitestar
Welcome on Whitestar forums !
Whitestar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I'm not playing Guild Wars 2

+2
Majiinfreddy
Elloa
6 posters

Go down

Why I'm not playing Guild Wars 2  Empty Why I'm not playing Guild Wars 2

Post by Elloa Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:36 pm

DISCLAIMER : I've written this article for LadiesofMMOs, which explain the tone of the writing, a bit unpersonal. If Majiin, or Chakra disagree to have their names used, I'll change them obviously. Another thing : this article is written to a public, not to you personaly, so please do not take the "my friends were tired of that game" as a disguised complain to you. It's not. Smile

Why I'm not playing Guild Wars 2  No_gw212

My friend Majiin, like many others today, have barely slept this nigth, and was ready at the earliest hour to create the new avatar that would hopefully hold his interest for the very next months and beyond.
Like many others, my friend Chakra had collected all kind of informations the last months, to make his wait more bearable: websites, videos, articles, blogs...and couldn't help but share his enthousiasm with his guildmates and friends.
The web had been litteraly invaded those last weeks, and even before that. Sometimes, not for the best, as you may know how fanboys and fangirls can be hard to stand for the more moderates. I know many gamers that were sceptical, or even hostile, and that finaly let themselves get convinced by the mass, and be part themselves of the big migration towards Tyria.
Today, Guild Wars 2 is finaly released for all players that preordered the game. And in three days, everyone else in the world will make their way in the new MMO.

Everyone else? Well, not me. I'm part of those irreducible that are resisting the syren call. No! I'll not be playing Guild Wars 2. Atleast not now.

But why? Am I that stubborn to refuse to play the latest, the most promising, the most revolutionary MMO on the market, according to their fans? Am I a rebel that want to prove to the gaming world that not everyone is going to be hooked by Arenanet baby? Am I just a negative, flap joy gamer?
No..In a way, I really would like to play Guild Wars2 myself. I've always find the game interesting and attracting. And now that most of my gaming friends are all hyped, it's even harder to resist. But I've choosen to not play it for several, very reasonable reasons.

First, I'm already playing Tera and The Secret World.
I play Tera because I've been hooked by it's gorgeous landscapes, its sexy characters and its amazing combat system. I've started to play Tera last year on Korea, I've been waiting for this game for a long time. I've been a real fangirl writting for fansites, creating videos, participating to the alpha and all betas and building a serious guild project. At release I leveled a Elin Mystic to 60, was well known on my server and my guild got elected Vanarch. Two months later however, most of my friends stopped to play and so did my guild. But I loved Tera too much to give it up. So I bought the NA version of the game and I'm leveling a new Mystic. I want to get 60! I want to do those hardmodes I never get the chance to do on my Eu server. I want to taste Tera end game. I want the feeling of completion. I've invested myself to much in this game already.
So, I'll not stop to play Tera.

I play The Secret World because its very different. This game is filled with novelties, inovative and brillant ideas. The setting are completly different to anything on the market. A smart game that do not take players for idiots. Great story, mysterious and gloomy atmosphere of our real world, totale immersion, inovative and addictive skill systems. No class, no level, and challenging content, may it be those investigation quests or those Lovecraftlike bosses in dungeons. And also, The Secret World is the only MMO that have succeeded to hook my boyfriend since 2010. I'll certainly not stop the one game we can enjoy together!
So, I'll not stop to play The Secret World.

It sad to say, but I've got a life, I've kids, a job, dishes to do, meal to cook and a endless montain of clothes to iron. I can't allow myself to play a third MMO. Even if I want. Even if this MMO seems very promising and fun.

The second reason is that I hardly believe that GuildWar2 will be the promised messie of MMO as seems to claim the very large community of fans. The game is as much hyped as SWTOR had been before. You know how the story ended.
Those last months, I've seen my community of friends getting extremly enthousiast for that game, then that one, then this other one. Their interest had been hold for one or two months maximum. Everytime. No matter how good was the game. No matter of how hyped they were before. Everytime I've believed them. I've let myself get hyped. I've put a lot of hopes and energies in different projects. And everytime I've seen the project I was working on beeing obselete before it had even the chance to start.
I'm a slow player. So when I was making my way slowly to the top, everyone else had leveled several character to the maximum level, and were already bored. And once I finaly made it, everyone else was tired and had left.
This scenario happened four time this year. It's already three too much. Now I'm careful, I've learnt my lesson. I will believe GuildWars 2 is THE one game if in three months by then my friends are still showing the same enthousiasm, and have not jumped to Mist of Pandaria, or I don't know what other new game will be released.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the two games I've choosen for myself, explore them, and promote them. Because no matter how good Guild Wars 2 is, there is other games here that's worth to play, and that deserve faithful fans!

Elloa
Elloa
Admin

https://whitestar.bbactif.com

Back to top Go down

Why I'm not playing Guild Wars 2  Empty Re: Why I'm not playing Guild Wars 2

Post by Majiinfreddy Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Nice article Wendy Smile
Great to see you still writing stuff ;D
Majiinfreddy
Majiinfreddy

Back to top Go down

Post by amuatama Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:28 pm

good o wall o'text Razz
elloa is a place holder waiting for its rightful owner ^^
amuatama
amuatama

Back to top Go down

Post by Chakra Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:40 pm

Elloa wrote:I'm a slow player. So when I was making my way slowly to the top, everyone else had leveled several character to the maximum level

I know exactly what you mean, I'm a slow leveler too.

When I do quests I don't only want to know What I need to do, but also Why. So I read all the texts, and talk to NPC's on my merry ways.
Especially in a Lore-rich game as GW2, I don't want to rush it, want to savour in all the magic of this game.

And belief me, I won't be quiting this game in 2 - 3 months. Heck, I won't be even half way leveling by then Wink

Chakra
Chakra

Back to top Go down

Post by Elloa Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:33 pm

And belief me, I won't be quiting this game in 2 - 3 months. Heck, I won't be even half way leveling by then

If GW2 is really as promising than WOW was 8 years ago, it will really not be a big deal for me to start the game 3 months later.
I think I'm playing careful and smart on that one. If most of you is getting tired of GW2 in 1 month and half, at least I'd not have forsaken my other game progression for nothing. And if you are all still in and all happy about it, it will still be time for me to join you and create this Nord Elloa, fierce and wild and sexy. (I'm not about the class, but I think hunter would fit me well)
Elloa
Elloa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A.O.D Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:33 am

For me its a different reason but in the end I too will follow Wendy's lead. Lets hope GW II will last and not be another "Jumper"-game for many MMO fans and WS also.

Elloa wrote:I will believe GuildWars 2 is THE one game if in three months by then my friends are still showing the same enthousiasm, and have not jumped to Mist of Pandaria, or I don't know what other new game will be released.

When it comes to MMO's there shouldn't be any more titles this year. BUT Resident Evil 6 will be released in November and including me a few friends are already planning a big RE marathon. And trust me when i say it will most likely be ..~Legendary~ even if it only will last for a few days. ^^
When RE 5 was released(3 years ago) i still remember every second we sat and played it, even if it didn't have the atmosphere we hoped it would.
A.O.D
A.O.D

Back to top Go down

Post by Elloa Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Okay, so guys...It's like one week, I'm following what you do, watch your screenies, check Loden's videos, read what you speak about in the Whitestar skype. And well so, I'm like this :

1. Okay, well GW2 I just buy the game, then I'm done with it. I don't need to pay a monthly sub. I could just buy it, and enjoy to play with my friends the time they get bored. It will be worth it. And after if I like it I can play it time to time.
  2. I'll not eat 2 Ben&Jerry icecream and I've paid my sub for TSW. I manage to find 1300g and I buy a Chronoscroll for Tera. Money isn't really an issue here.
  3. Better to play GW2 when everyone is exited about it than when everyone have stopped. In addition, even if I was exclusively playing GW2 since day -3, I'd be one of the last in term of level. SO, I really don't care about progressing fast, cause even when I try, I fail. I just can enjoy the game at my pace.
  4. I like to play different games. There will not be a WOW2. Playing different games for differents reasons is kinda nice. I don't need to dedicate myself exclusively to a single one, like I did for 7 years with WOW. It's not a wedding afterall, it's fecking games! SO I can play 3 MMO + Minecraft + Diablo.
  5. Would be nice to have a Norn ranger, or a Sylvari Elementalist. There is none of those in Whitestar. And come on! Everyone is playing thegame NOW!

SO I say to Fredrik : "Please Fredrik, buy me the game and download it when I'm at work"...and then....

NO FECKING MORE COPY !!!!!!
Elloa
Elloa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A.O.D Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Hahaha, i kinda feel sorry for you Elloa with all those different games pulling you apart. Neutral
A.O.D
A.O.D

Back to top Go down

Post by itslifejim Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Its a great game, I am having loads of fun and only around lvl14 or so.

My free month of Tera has ended and going to hold off on subbing for now, (sorry Elloa for maybe abandoning you after we have been leveling together) I will be back in Tera if GW2 does not work out. I do love Tera, but I think I am going to love GW2 even more. Also Tera has not been the same for me since the end of Whitestar, as we did have so so so much fun in those first 2 months.

In GW2 the area's feel alive with the constant events, NPC's chatting to each other. The personal stories may not be as in depth as SWTOR but the voice overs are just as good. Your level is adjusted based on what zone you are in, so if you go back to a zone you missed, didn't do, or just to join a lower level friend your not going to be at a massive advantage.

So far for me GW2 is a winner. (but can any game ever hold my interest for 5years like WoW did? There is a bigger choice of MMO's now then when WoW was in its prime and new ones coming along all the time, is it worth investing all the time I/we do into games anymore when the next one to try will be out before you are done with the last? if Blizzard want there next MMO to be anywhere near as popular as WoW ever was they will have to create something mind boggling, out of this world, spine tingling, superliciously awesome.) - Superliciously <<< I think I made a new word right there.

Bleh!!! going sooooo off topic now Razz

BTW I got my copy from the same place I got TeraUS http://www.prepaidgamecards.com/product/guild-wars-2-code/ $59.95 is around €48, they use Paypal and will Email you a scan of the retail key within 5mins normally.
itslifejim
itslifejim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down